Thursday, June 26, 2014

THE COMPASSION CONUNDRUM


June 26, 2014

Perhaps I’ve been involved too long in various and sundry benevolent ministries.  But it is a painful fact that there are people who really aren’t interested in working.  I remember being thoroughly cursed by a fellow seeking help who told me he needed a job but hadn’t been able to secure work.  I informed him I thought I could help him out.  I immediately got on the phone and called a member of the church who had told me he was looking for help (this was during wheat harvest).  The member told me to send him straight out.  He had a job if he wanted it.  Instead of thanking me, it made the man furious!  He spewed some amazing invective at me before storming out.  He obviously didn’t want a job, he wanted a hand out.

My observation is that many of those “Will Work for Food” signs aren’t real sincere. However, the purveyors of the signs know that a sign saying “Really not interested in working, Just Want Your Money” probably won’t draw a great deal of sympathetic help. So, if I reward those who, in a sense, may be working at not working, am I really doing them a favor?

Through the years I’ve personally tried to operate on the principle of “It’s better to be ripped off a dozen times than to refuse to help that one person who really needs it.”  Consequently, I’ve been taken a number of times.  I know I have.  And that’s okay.  God will sort all that out.  But beggars on corners are, in my opinion, a different moral challenge.  They are, straightforwardly, saying “Give me something for nothing.”  For the most part, they are making no pretense of working to improve their lot other than standing for hours with their hands out. 

The entrance/exit to the Walmart store in Muskogee has become a favorite place for beggars.  A man or woman, dressed in a bright work vest (ironically) for safety’s sake, is stationed there on a raised yellow-painted lane divider from mid-morning till late evening every day.  They stand there in the heat or cold or wind.  The wait at the traffic light allows them to catch the vehicles exiting left onto the street from the parking lot.  The signs they hold will vary – “Need Help”; “Can’t find work”; “Children need food”.  The posture they adopt is remarkably similar – shoulders slumped, eyes lowered  (but not enough to keep them from checking the line to see if someone has rolled down their window).  One is fairly elderly – his sign says he is in his seventies.  Others appear middle-aged.  Interestingly, they’re often smoking a cigarette (raising the natural question, “If you’ve got money to buy cigarettes…). 

Their presence has raised a number of questions in my mind.  Do they have to register with the police?  Does Walmart regulate their presence?  Since they all wear the work vests it makes me think someone is requiring it.  Do they have certain hours when certain beggars beg?  Is it like shift work?  Is there some kind of pecking order in regard to who gets dibs on the times when traffic flow is the greatest?  Is there someone official to settle squabbles over who gets to beg when?  Curious minds want to know...

What kind of money do they generate in a day?  Do they get to keep it or have to hand it off to someone else?  In India, for instance, the children who beg are closely watched and beaten if they don’t turn over the money they receive to their handlers.  Is it that way with these folks?

My observation, based on sitting at the light waiting to turn left, is that most vehicles don’t give them anything.  I have no idea what percentage does.  Obviously, it is great enough to be worth it to the beggars to stand out there day after day.

I’ll confess, I rarely give them anything.  That is the result of a set of conflicting emotions that generated the title for this little blog – the Compassion Conundrum.

I do feel sorry for them.  To be honest, I’m also a little angry at them and probably a little resentful too.  I feel sorry for them because it has to be the pits to be a beggar.  Maybe I’ve got too much false pride, but I would rather starve or freeze than stand there with a sign trying to mooch money off people.  Maybe they’re not, maybe they are, but I would be embarrassed and humiliated.

I’m a little angry at them for a couple of reasons.  Scripture and common sense say “get a job.”  Paul will tell the Thessalonians in 2 Thess 3:10 – “If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.”  A minimum wage job is still a job.  You’re earning your way.  You may need some extra help, but you’re working and contributing to society, not leaching off of it.  Since the Garden of Eden (Gen 3), man is to earn his keep by the sweat of his brow.  That’s honorable and right.  Standing and looking pitiful with a sign in your hands contributes nothing to anyone except you.

I’m also a little resentful because, frankly, beggars make me feel guilty.  Am I stone cold hearted because I won’t help these unfortunate individuals?  Am I not showing them agape as I should?  Am I being selfish and self-centered?  I really don’t think so.  But I resent being made to feel guilty because I have something and they don’t (and, oh by the way, I worked for it).

You see, to me, here’s the compassion conundrum.  If I give that beggar a dollar or two, it may assuage my conscience, may make me feel good about myself for a minute, but is it really the right thing to do?  If I, in a sense, reward an individual for not working, am I not motivating him/her in the wrong direction?  Are we really doing him/her a favor, and pleasing our God in the process, when we hand over some cash?

Just asking…    

No comments:

Post a Comment